About Me

My photo
Samantha Sosa was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. She is currently a senior at DePauw University and is expected to graduate on May, 2011. Her double majors are Communications (with a focus in Media studies and Rhetoric), and Spanish. She is a member of the Posse Foundation, full-tuition leadership scholarship, a member of the Committee for Latino Concerns, was a radio personality for WGRE 91.5 radio station for a semester in Indiana, and has previously worked in the Theater and Communications Department at DePauw. She studied abroad for a semester her junior year of college in Granada, Spain and also had the opportunity to travel to other countries and to Africa. Ever since her grass roots internship experience with United States Hispanic Leadership Institute she grew an urge to assist and foster the Latino population. Her goal is to help pipeline more Latinos into college. She quotes: “The Latino population’s potential is undeniable, we have a great advantage in the changing face of today’s market; all we need to do is work together so that no one is left behind.”

Saturday, November 20, 2010

“E” for Experience!

From elementary school through college, earning outstanding academic grades is emphasized by our teachers and parents. I agree, they are important –but we shouldn’t beat our heads over always maintaining solid A’s. My college experience has taught me that it’s not always healthy to obsess over being the best at every subject. During my time at DePauw, I have taken at least one course in every area of study offered: religion, political science, quantitative reasoning, psychology, biology, English writing, Spanish, anthropology, education, communication—you name it. Unfortunately, I did not always achieve the “A” I wanted in every course and this bothered me tremendously. I started doubting my decisions and regretted having taken courses I was not sure I would be interested in, never previously experienced, or knew the professor was tough; I should have listened to my peers’ warnings! 

In retrospect, I could not have made a better decision. College is the perfect place to explore and challenge yourself. I could have easily been influenced not to take a particular course based on my peers’ reviews about certain professors and courses. But stubborn, I wanted to try it for myself and make my own assessments. I did my fair share of trial and errors, investigated all of my curiosities, and followed what I wanted to do.  In effect, my repertoire of coursework helped me receive great grades after a couple of semesters because I approached every theory I learned with a variety of frameworks. 

One big mistake college students constantly make is comparing oneself with others. My advice is to always remember that every student will encounter different obstacles and opportunities. College is your personal journey so make it unique, worthwhile, and holistic because it goes by quicker than you expect. As a senior, I could not be any more content. I have developed many skills, seen the many layers of my work ethic and personality in action, and learned what my strengths and weaknesses are. It has been the best way to learn and gain self trust, self-confidence, and teamwork skills. 

Stay tuned, my next blog will about studying abroad!

4 comments:

  1. I agree that school is "the" time to explore!! Don't waste the opportunity and focus on getting A's in the courses of your major. That's where grades count the most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely had similar experiences, Sam! It was only through exploring many different fields and subjects that I came to learn more about the things I'm studying now. I'm so glad I didn't let my insecurities about my ability to perform well in other classes stop me from exploring them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me crazy, but not trying to get A's defeats the purpose of going to college, assuming your family is not well off. I say this because my father couldn't afford for me to be in school longer than 4 years. So I couldn't waste too much time to "find myself". If he was wealthy then maybe I could have backpacked through europe for a year after I graduated instead of getting work. Although, I do agree that it is a great opportunity to explore and try different subjects, but in doing so one should try to excel in that subject. If you like it great, take more classes. If you hate it, drop the class or do your best. I feel we should try to excel no matter what we do. Always trying for an "A" will get you to your highest potential even if your highest potential is a "B or C". Nonetheless you gave it your all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mariela! Ivana, I bet there are countless students who feel or have felt the same way we have!

    Eduardo, I did not say we should not try to to get A's. My message was that we should not obsess over always getting perfect grades because there is so much more to the college experience that should not be overlooked or taken for granted. In fact, employers evaluate a student not by looking at grades alone but by looking at the "big picture"--all of your other credentials as well.

    In college one can join a variety of organizations, become a leader in the organization, network, build friendships with all types of people, start a club, study abroad, intern, etc. The opportunities are endless and they should be taken full advantage of because a well rounded person is always a better candidate than a person who's sole focus has been on getting an A in every course. It is okay to do standard or fail sometimes because what matters is the knowledge you have gained from that experience, and proving how it has benefited you.

    ReplyDelete